Wednesday 12 January 2011

Daniel Fast


Well, it's a new year, and it's been nearly a month since my last update.

As updates go, this is more about food and an introspective look at myself rather than any particular recipes (though there will be one!).

***

Basically, a few days ago at work, my colleague Dan had played a video by LifeChurch in devotions. The picture below is of Craig Groeschel, the minister who leads the church.

Generally, the video is a sermon on the start of a new year and how we should approach it from a spiritual perspective. Have we been apathetic spiritually? Are there things we need to change in the coming year?

Anyway, at about 19 minutes in, Craig talks about fasting to seek God at the start of the year - putting God first by denying yourself. Remembering to pray or to think on the things of God when you get hungry or are tempted to break the fast.

I decided to give it a go, following the fast that Craig and his church have taken up (though starting today I'm a little behind...). That is to say, the Daniel Fast. Whether I'll last the 21 days that they're suggesting I'm not sure. But if it gets me into a rhythm of seeking God first, then even if I don't manage 21 days, then that's a good start.

***

Needless to say, I had to augment my shopping list to deal with the fast. At first I thought it was going to be very very easy. It's still eating, right? But looking through the food list and what is allowed, you really have to cut out a lot of stuff. No sugar, butter, meat, bread, white rice or processed pasta and more? I'm looking forward to the challenge and I hope that it brings me closer to God this year.

***

If you're thinking about it as well, then be encouraged - I managed to make an enjoyable meal this evening.

It was a wee bit spur of the moment, and nothing fancy, but it was good.

I don't have any pictures or anything as I wasn't even planning to blog this, but changed my mind. So here goes. Also, this way, if anybody spots any mistakes in what I'm doing - if I've used any ingredients I shouldn't have, do let me know!

I cooked some wholewheat conchiglie in one pot while I prepared a few vegetables.

I diced a red onion, and chopped up two tomatoes and a handful of mushrooms. I sautéed these off in some garlic infused olive oil for a couple of minutes until the onions started to brown. I cracked in some black pepper and a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of chilli powder.

Allowing thirty seconds or so for the spices to heat, I then poured in a tin of chopped tomatoes and a couple of teaspoons of tomato purée. Don't worry, I checked the cans and purée for banned ingredients before I added them.

Stirring frequently until the sauce had heated through, I took it off the heat while I drained the pasta, leaving just a little of the pasta water to pour into the sauce for extra flavour and thickening. Just like the Italians.

***

Stick your pasta in the bowl and ladle the vegetables and sauce over the top. Sorted.

***

Coming up:

- More recipes based on this fast I should think...

No comments:

Post a Comment